Bye Bye Belly, Hello Zélie

Zélie Queen Nelson Curtis came out to play last Monday.  She’s cute and loves to cuddle.  Little Q will conclude the Curtis breeding program securing her placing as the youngest in the family.  I can identify as I’ve enjoyed many, many years as the youngest and I find it to be the best spot to hold.  The family has been excited getting to know her.  Her needs are simple and refreshing.  Eat, sleep, cuddle and a clean bum is all she asks for at the moment.  I can remember this being a huge effort with the first child and now looking after her seems so easy.

Tosca the golden retriever is adjusting to her noises.   She seems excited to have another plate to lick.  Bug the cat had a funny five minutes while he mistook Zélie’s squeaks for a mouse and ran crazy around the house to find it.

I’ve calibrated my mental kid count to four, which is weird and very cool.  The family no longer fits in the Skoda, but seriously where the heck will we all go at the same time?  An event so rare and special, we’ll take two vehicles.  The first real challenge with adding another human to our family is the sock issue.  Two more feet with two more socks getting lost and wreaking havoc within laundry system.

… F.A.Q. and F.Y.I.

1) Queen?!?!?! what up with that?  : well, you can’t please everyone.  Long before Zélie was a little zygote, we’ve code named the fourth baby Quattro.  If Zélie had been a boy, the middle name would have been Quattro.  SooOOOooooo,  we wanted to come up with a ‘Q’ girl name for her and we both loved Queen.  So there you have it.

2) Zélie’s original name was Zélie Queen Campbell Curtis.  Lucy, Otto and Clémentine have Campbell as one of their middle names.  In France, when a woman gets married, she does not legally change her last name.  With all the paperwork we’ve been through, I’m often listed as Jean Campbell.  So when Brent rushed down to get her registered with the Mayor ( you have three days to do this or it’s CREE-MEE-NAL! ) he was faced with this snag. We were unable to use my last name as a middle name.  They said that Brent could write a letter to France and ask to use Campbell (Dear France …).  After  a very animated week, he chose to not go down that path. With minutes to come up with a new middle name,  he searched for something on my side of the family since we lost Campbell.  He chose Nelson, my mom’s middle name.  I totally love it and I think it was a spectacular choice.

22 thoughts on “Bye Bye Belly, Hello Zélie

1. erika December 2, 2010 / 1:31 pm

I am in love with Zelie Q. She looks absolutely squish and delish. You do make excellent bebes, you two. Love to both and can’t believe you sound so relaxed…xoxo

2. bc December 2, 2010 / 4:59 pm

The nicknames haven’t settled down yet. She’s getting Q, Zee Q, Zeeq, Quattro and Squeaky so far. And Jean keeps calling her Minty.

• Jean Curtis December 3, 2010 / 7:58 am

I really must stop calling her MInty. I sound like my mom.

3. shirley Hall-Roberts December 2, 2010 / 6:04 pm

Congratulations ! Lovely pictures. I hope Toscas welcomes her new playmate.

Shirley

4. Tamra December 2, 2010 / 7:09 pm

So adorable!

5. Mike December 2, 2010 / 7:58 pm

I thought Qmichael would have worked splendidly.

6. Cyndi December 3, 2010 / 12:45 am

Another beauty Jean and Brent. Congrats to both of you. Give the queen a curtsy and a kiss for us.

7. Cyndi December 3, 2010 / 12:46 am

Poor socks!!!!!

8. Glad December 3, 2010 / 1:42 am

I agree you make beautiful babies. I look forward to meeting the littlest one in the future. I imagine it to be quite the lively household these days. Best wishes and hugs to you all.

9. Jaygo December 3, 2010 / 4:21 am

She is beautiful. I can’t wait to meet her next summer. Rachel says she also looks quite small for a Campbell-Curtis child!

• Jean Curtis December 3, 2010 / 8:01 am

she is! she’s was a seven pounder. She was 19.7 inches. a little supermodel in the making. Paris, here we come.

10. Mark Griffith December 3, 2010 / 7:37 pm

Jean!!!!

So Happy for you and Brent! She’s gorgeous!

I guess it’s a little self serving to announce on your announce but : http://chinagriffith.com

Cheers
    mbg

11. stuck December 13, 2010 / 10:48 am

Congratulations Jean and Brent on your fabulous new addition Z-Q! The pictures are great and we look forward to seeing more (pictures).

Hope to catch up with you next time you are in Oz.

love Sarah and Simon

• bc in France December 13, 2010 / 4:07 pm

That might be a while! We’re broke peasants now.

Her initials ‘ZQ’ get her 20 points in Scrabble.

12. Sophie's mom, Rachel December 13, 2010 / 10:10 pm

Congratulations! That is fabulous news! Wow, Zélie is a cutie.

All the best – Rachel, Mike, and Sophie

13. Ananda Bareno January 14, 2011 / 9:41 am

Campbell-Curtis Clan!!! When did you have little Zelie? Was it on Dec.2nd? I just had my first baby boy, Ari Hayden Sudar, on Dec. 3rd!!! This mom stuff is some hard work, I tell ya! Give me tips! Love you, a

• Jean Curtis January 20, 2011 / 9:17 am

omg! congrats! yes, hard. but when they turn eight, you’ll look back at the newborn stage as “the good ol’ days.” There were no arguments about clothes, shoes, hair and who has the pink plate.