Scoop On The Coop

DSC_9665.JPG

Our farm came with lots of crazy stuff hacked together by the previous (now dead) farmer. One item of interest is the chicken coop. Long term, I’m hoping to pasture the chickens on the fields following the cows. Currently I’m nurturing a newborn and she limits my time to execute such grand plans. So in our attempt to get some animals on the farm that aren’t cats or dogs, I’m trying to get the coop back together while simultaneously racing a friend who is also trying to get chickens on his farm. Even with my newborn disadvantage, I know I will be victorious.

DSC_9663.JPG
The coop is so close to being operational. A couple of years ago, there was a tempête (huge windy storm) that knocked a large tree down on the surrounding fence. Alls I need to do is fix a hole, put up a new pole and add a little fence. Then, voila! It will be ready for chickens. So far, I’ve fixed the hole. Next I need to mix and set my very first concrete thing. The only disappointment is that I won’t get to weld anything. For Christmas, Brent bought a welder for me (it’s an arc welder details will follow in another post). We decided that since I was the professional dancer, such matters should fall in my hands. The pole that I found around the farm is a bit short and really needs another bit welded to it to make it taller. I need to get a welding lesson first. So, in my effort to add a weld to every farm project I do, I will have to let the chicken coop sit this one out. All this farming stuff is new to me, so doing something simple like “get chickens on farm” makes me learn five to ten new things. When I’m done, I will know how and where to buy grain from the silos, fun with chain link fence and concrete among other silly things like moving heavy objects from one side of the farm to the other and getting the husband to chainsaw a large tree.

DSC_9664.JPG

… and now, some gratuitous newborn photos 🙂
DSC_9653.JPG

DSC_9652.JPG

DSC_9662.JPG

9 thoughts on “Scoop On The Coop

1. Lynn Sullivan February 12, 2011 / 3:45 pm

I’d put the chickens out in the field just as soon as I could pry them away from the heater and I’d forget all that concrete, but hey, I’m a city kid.

As for the gratuitous newborn photos, OMG, how cute. Keep it coming, and pictures of the other kids, too!

• Jean Curtis February 13, 2011 / 5:28 pm

TOTALLY! I forgot to mention the two “dogs in training.” Tosca and Munson will have a meal with the new chickens, so we need to train them not to eat them. I hope they’ll learn quickly.

2. Laura February 12, 2011 / 6:31 pm

from chicken lady Marilyn;

The coop is about keeping the varmits out …chickens are not very good escape artist. I would not go to cement unless it was going to be permanent.

If you have skunks or raccoons they will climb those trees and have a meal. You will have to lock them in the little hen house when they roost at night.

Zellie is so cute.

• Jean Curtis February 13, 2011 / 5:29 pm

no skunks. no racoons. we have smart foxes. I think I’ve got the holes secured, but we’ll see when the birds arrive. LOVE the advice. thanks, chicken lady!

3. John M February 13, 2011 / 12:59 am

No! Dont lock the skunks and raccoons in the coop at night!

• Jean Curtis February 13, 2011 / 5:39 pm

thanks John, got it.

4. Mark Griffith February 13, 2011 / 8:26 am

I love how your in a competition! 🙂 Good luck with the chickens.

• Jean Curtis February 13, 2011 / 5:30 pm

I’m very competitive. It can be a problem at times 😉

5. Heartwalk Counseling March 3, 2011 / 10:18 pm

JEAN, very important to secure the coop and it’s our experience that they put themselves to bed at night and we simply go down and secure the door.

However dug trench about 8-9in. deep with very small chicken wire (squares < 1/2 " buried this and then after bending upthe other half of the 18 " strip secured this to the coop. This has pre-cluded the digging of critters – we do have frequent racoons and they can even reach in a rip out whatever piece that they want. I'll send off our pic's of our girls and their coop