My Sunflower

It’s true, I think it’s carried on the second X chromosome.  But I do love the sunflower.  I can’t help myself.  This year is a stellar year for sunflowers and we are surrounded by stellar crops of lovely golden beauties popping up imminently.  Brent has been steadily bringing our old vine fields into pasture.  We seeded an alfalfa and dactyle mix before the rain hit and watched and waited.  Things went wet.  Things went dry.  Things grew and it was time for Brent to mow it in for the next batch.  These are the things you do when trying to bring back fertility and good soil.  When we went out for a walk, I noticed a volunteer sunflower on the verge of bloom.  Brent mowed the next day, but left the sunflower.  My little sunflower.  It’s very beautiful.  I’m glad he left it.  I just want to cuddle it and call it Jorge.  Here is its view.

It can also keep an eye on the cows.  This little sunflower is not long for the world.  The strong, yellow bloom doesn’t last long and then it starts hanging its head ready for drying and harvesting.  The sunflowers bloom big through July and begin to droop through August.  When they are droopy and brown, you know its about time for school to begin, wood to be chopped and garlic/shallots/leeks/white onions/peas to go in.  Most of the fields are green with golden anticipation.  You can feel July in the air and in the fields.  Okay, but more importantly Spain/ Portugal are in penalties … gotta run.

6 thoughts on “My Sunflower

1. bc June 28, 2012 / 8:40 am

I can see a new horizon underneath the blazing sky.

• Jean Curtis June 28, 2012 / 12:19 pm

THANKFULLY, I’ve never seen that movie among other classics (see Gone With the Wind and Chariots of Fire). But I have seen this, many times. “Everybody uses everybody.”

Extra points for summoning a dance montage

2. bc June 28, 2012 / 1:34 pm

I got your dance montage right here, but I have to get bonus points for Chaka Khan.

• Jean Curtis June 28, 2012 / 8:26 pm

It’s sad that I’ve been reminded of my break-dancing days. I was the dance girl who kicked her leg high and twirled a lot.

• bc June 28, 2012 / 8:29 pm

We’ve been married thirteen years and only now I found out you’ve been in break-dance circles?

3. Gladys June 29, 2012 / 3:30 pm