Cadeau Mignon

20130618-183601.jpg

We had lunch with some friends this afternoon. I love lunching with friends, but don’t picture us lounging and laughing, sipping wine without a care in the world. Our lovely, baby girl makes you keep it real. Despite her two-year-old-ness, she did okay. She didn’t break anything in the lovely Chateau. She didn’t act completely rude. She ran around in a tolerable way. She didn’t crap in her pants. Success.

Our friends served a lovely lunch which we thoroughly enjoyed. I love the French pace of lunch. I tried so hard to replicate it in America with huge resistance. A two hour lunch is slacking. Wine with lunch gets you stares and eyebrows. No time for dessert ( and just forget cheese ). Coffee is acceptable. Serve it in a paper cup to-go with a sippy cup lid and keep moving. Keep on moving. Why are you sitting there? Where’s your laptop? Why aren’t you working? Blah!

After lunch, Brent did a pasture walk with our farmer friend and looked at the cows. As they went through the barn, our friend offered some bikes for the kids. One was this mini racer bike. SO CUTE! I’ve never seen a racer so cute and tiny. I know French people can trend short, but I think this little guy is actually built for a child. Le Tour approaches … Our best bet with this bike is Z. She has the best power to weight ratio.

6 thoughts on “Cadeau Mignon

1. cecilia June 19, 2013 / 1:15 am

Oh yes… Long Lunches are my favourite (especially when they start out as brunch!!).. I have always said the biggest problem for americans is they don’t start drinking early enough! poor darlings.. c

• Jean Curtis June 20, 2013 / 12:13 pm

I will never not have a long lunch again. The cows doze. The shops are closed. The cars and trucks stop. All quiet on the lunching front.

• cecilia June 20, 2013 / 12:37 pm

Sounds divine! and no poopy pants please! c

2. mimiswardrobe June 20, 2013 / 3:17 am

The long lunches with wine are probably another reason the French don’t have near the rate of heart attacks we do!

• Jean Curtis June 20, 2013 / 12:15 pm

It’s lovely to take a minute or a hundred-twenty away from chaos and think, “gee, shall I have three or four cheeses for the cheese course.” This can happen in any country.

• mimiswardrobe June 20, 2013 / 2:13 pm

Oh, yes, we still do cheese here! We are lucky to have three good stores (not close enough for my druthers), and especially one where we can find raw cheeses. I still use the French rules for a good cheese plate, although we would shock many French people by enjoying a meal of just bread, cheese and fruit. It’s harder to find good bread (for cheese), but we manage.