That Y-shaped Footwear

A post from Cecilia at The Kitchen’s Garden Project reminded me of the ways we refer to those simple shoes held on by your toe. Flip-flops … sure. Thongs … okay. But other countries have their own words. Jandals is one of my favs.  New Zealand gave us that.  Brilliant.  As a Southern Californian, we had Tojos ( say that, “toe hoes” ).  This was a lesser product from Flojos ( say “flow hoes” ) a common beach shoe made from rubber, easy to slop on and off when you’re surfing the waves battling sand and the ladies.  I think most of us called them flip-flops.  After an extensive five minute search on the internet, I can’t find a thing on Tojos.  Or is it Toehos?  I think Flojos canned the name due to potential “other” toe push back.

But, the best name I’ve ever heard naming the  flip-flop came from my mom.  “Go-Aheads”  …  I’ll let that sink in.  What?  Go-Aheads?  Really?  I have no idea where that came from.  She grew up on the east coast and then around.  I can only imagine a child asking her mom,

Child: Mom? Mom!  Can I wear these to school?

Mom:  uh, go ahead.

It’s just easy.  Kid slips go-aheads on … no socks to locate … we’re done here.

I’m sure I’ve missed other names for these summer Jandals 😉 … anyone have any others?

9 thoughts on “That Y-shaped Footwear

1. Kipper May 23, 2016 / 2:08 pm

We used to call them zoris, don’t know where that name came from. I distinctly remember the local Wigwam store of my youth having a sign calling them that.

• Jean Curtis May 23, 2016 / 2:12 pm

Zoris! Nice!

2. bizzyella May 24, 2016 / 8:31 am

Yeah, zoris. We also called them Jap flaps, back before mentioning ethnicity was considered rude. Though probably, if we thought about it, around our Japanese friends we stuck with zoris. My grandmother called them go-aheads. Nobody else did. Now I say flip-flops. I like the ones with the padded velveteen straps and the bamboo footpads and kind of thick sole. I don’t know what you’d call the wedge-heeled ones that I got at Leclerc yesterday. A little much?

• Jean Curtis May 24, 2016 / 3:56 pm

Jap Flaps, not heard that one. “Jandals” from NZ is a nickname for “Japanese Sandals” so that makes sense. But deary me, I have NEVER had another party say they’ve heard of Go-Aheads. Cool!

• grasspunk May 24, 2016 / 5:39 pm

I’m just sad that we have to wait so long to have a cow called Go-Ahead. Or Jandal.

3. Kipper May 24, 2016 / 2:30 pm

A few years ago Mom and I were shopping at Fred Meyer and in an aisle near the lingerie dept. Mom loudly says ” I just cant wear thongs any more”. I was a bit shocked, then noticed she was looking at a display of zoris and replied loudly “You mean flip flops, don’t you.” Even when we are adults, our parents can continue to embarrass us in public.

• Jean Curtis May 24, 2016 / 3:57 pm

ha! great. Yeah, good point. I need to embarrass my kids more. … or maybe I do and didn’t take notice.

4. Gladys May 26, 2016 / 3:10 am

Yes, go-ahead was before flip flop and very San Diego. You can only go ahead in those shoes. If you go backwards they tend to fall off.

• Jean Curtis May 26, 2016 / 10:42 am

OOOoooH! good one! makes sense 🙂